Thanks to visionaries, both past and present, we have a chance as a community to come together making a significant difference to the future of Jefferson City and the region.
- Over 75% of the funding sources for this project are private donations or dedicated funds.
- The Bicentennial Bridge eliminates the conflict of an at-grade rail crossing and improves safety and access for pedestrians.
- River level records from the past 18 years indicate most of The Island is available 99.6% of the time.
- Offers a future connection to the proposed redeveloped Missouri State Penitentiary.
- The project would reestablish our historic connection to the river. This type of use is endorsed and encouraged by the Army Corps of Engineers as it provides access to river recreation activities and interpretation.
- The project provides opportunities to interpret a diverse transportation system – river, road, air and rail through breathtaking views from the Bicentennial Bridge.
- The project will bring economic activity to the region in terms of construction jobs, but also in terms of tourism in the capital city.
- Enhances the community’s wellness as well through recreational, educational, and cultural opportunities and experiences.
- Provides accessibility for persons with disabilities.
- Economic benefits for business, revitalization and transportation options.
- Cooperation and collaboration in many levels of government and private enterprise.